This is the second year of our Psychotherapy Programme and the first year of our three-year MA in Gestalt Therapy. It offers students an in-depth assimilation of Gestalt therapy – both the theory and practice.
Who takes this course?
Most students come to this course direct from the Year 1 of the Psychotherapy Programme (Gestalt Foundation Year). Others join from our Gestalt Counselling Programme. It’s possible to enter the programme at this point with a degree (or equivalent experience) plus prior understanding of the Gestalt approach.
What the course offers
This course will further develop your understanding of Gestalt, both experientially in individual therapy and group work, as well as through studying key texts and by preparing essays and presentations.
There is a focus on:
- Developing awareness of individual contact styles and how this affects dialogue
- Deepening understanding of the actuality of group phenomenology (the whole is different from the sum of the parts)
- Understanding the above in gestalt theoretical terms
There are 2 modules for this year:
- Module PY7103GS provides theoretical development with a focus on core Gestalt therapy principles and concepts.
- Module PY7090GS focuses on personal and practical development. In the second half of the year, students begin skills practice and consider issues in relation to working with clients.