Conflict occurs widely and in many situations and can be very destructive. Perhaps a team member is repeatedly critical of work that the team is developing. A group member struggles to manage their anger and need for attention. Or a situation in which several people in a group are effectively excluding a colleague from important decisions.
Conflict can also be energising and a creative force in groups, teams and organisations. The ability to challenge and confront and be challenged is vital, especially in leadership positions.
Group facilitators, team leaders and others need to be able to handle this, understanding sources of conflict and common styles people use in conflict situations. Learning more about conflict and confrontation can help leaders and facilitators create a safe enough space so that all participants can be heard, supported and enable the team or group to work more effectively.
This immersive two day workshop will be practical, participative and experiential with time for theoretical reflection with opportunities for consideration of application of skills.
Who is the course for
This course is for people with some experience of facilitating groups and leading teams, wanting to manage challenges in their work, learn and be confident working with confrontation, review practice and style for deeper impact or energizing themselves and their practice.
Programme participants include professionals working with people and teams such as coaches, consultants, team leaders, GPs, counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists, teachers, lecturers, NGO leaders, residential workers, voluntary sector workers and others.
- Deepen your understanding of conflict sources, dynamics and approaches
- Develop your awareness of factors which contribute to how you deal with conflict and confrontation
- Develop your skills and capacity to work effectively with conflict and challenge in teams and groups
- Increase your awareness of patterns of communication in groups and teams which can affect effective functioning.
- Practice developing good contact and effective communication
- Appreciation and valuing of working with difference and diversity